Monday, August 16, 2021

Castle Magic Experiments

 I've already used some Castle Magic in my houses, but I'm embarking on a more intensive project for my Pyromancer that will involve moving parts. So I decided I would describe some of my findings here. Parts of this will be written as if you don't know anything about Castle Magic. Forgive me if it reads like I'm dumbing things down.

The last time I used it, I had some uneven results. I got things to work eventually, but I didn't understand why the counters weren't working like they should. I will still need to investigate the use of Counters and Computers.

My house will be a sort of Twilight Zone affair with clocks moving about all over the place and doing freaky things. I plan on having them spin, grow and shrink, rise and fall, move about, and fade in and out.

If this is your first time figuring out what to do with Castle Magic, you purchase the items from Babbage Basset in Regent's Square of Marleybone (near the museum). In one section of his "shop", you buy the items that you place in your house. These are house decorations and count toward your house item limit. In another section of his shop, you buy what are essentially treasure cards that are the "spells" that you insert into your Castle Magic items to make them work. These count toward your treasure card limit. The average cost of the items is about 2000 gold, and the average cost of the spells is 1000 gold.

Spinning Clock Tower

I started with the easiest thing - making a clock tower spin. When you want something to occur only once, you can use certain kinds of trigger items, like pressure plates or switches, or items that detect players getting close. I tend to use a Magic Start Detector that triggers when the player first arrives to the house. But for spinning, I want the magic to be continuous. So I use a Magic Timer.

Once you buy your items and spells from Babbage Basset, you port to your house and then open up your house inventory so you can place your Castle Magic decorations (such as the Magic Timer item). Technically, they can be anywhere around the house as long as in same house zone as the items you want to activate (outside Castle Magic affects outside zone and items only), but it's a good idea to keep your Castle Magic items near the objects you wish to affect. A quick way to figure out which items any particular Castle Magic decoration affects is to left click on the item itself and watch the yellow arrows flowing away from the decoration to those items being affected.


Here you can see a blue box and an orange ball, joined together, as well as my house inventory open, since I'm placing Castle Magic items into my house. If that menu isn't open, you won't see any of your Castle Magic decorations. You can move these Castle Magic items into other objects, but that doesn't have any affect on their behavior. People tend to move Castle Magic items into each other to make it visually apparent which items are affecting each other. You click on the Castle Magic item to show a menu where you can move the item, pick it up, but also enter that item's specific Castle Magic menu (a symbol at the top).


Here's the Magic Timer. I wanted continuous spin, so I used that instead of the Magic Start Detector. The first tab at top is for what spells you are using, and what items they are affecting. The Magic Timer usually goes through an intermediary Castle Magic item to start spells that affect your environment, the Magic Reflector, which can perform multiple simultaneous actions. And that's what I've done here. I cast to Activate Reflector (by putting the treasure card in that top area), and then pointed the spell to the item I wanted activated, the Magic Reflector. If you click that little circle containing stars, you can then click on the card or object you wish to affect, and that fills in the spell or item.


The second tab (if there is one) controls the behavior of the Castle Magic item, and in the case of the timer, you have the power to adjust how long before the spells are cast, whether the spells cast only once or whether they repeat, whether the timer starts on its own when the house is visited, and if you visually show the timer to visitors (including you). I keep that timer display turned off unless I want to see if it's actually working. Usually people want the timer set to one second for the On setting and zero seconds for the Off setting, because the majority of Magic Timer uses are for growing objects or making them trigger immediately upon visiting their house.


Here is the Magic Reflector's menu (the one that I linked the Magic Timer to). You'll notice at the very top, it says "When Activated Do #2 Cast Spell". This is the second spell I'm casting. You can toggle between up to eight different spells using the scroll arrows at top. There are three different turn spells for each direction, left or right: 15 degrees, 45 degrees, and 90 degrees.

Here is the part of the experimentation that might be new information to some experienced Castle Magic users. If you put only one spell in for turning an object, it will start and stop instead of turning smoothly. You may want that affect, like the way a clock's second hand moves around the face. But I wanted a smooth spin. I had to look around on the web to find videos on how others did it. I found a video that used multiples of the same spell, four Turn Right 90 Degrees spells. But how many are are required? By the math, I needed to achieve at least 135 degrees of turning between the spells I used at the settings I had (one second timer On, zero seconds Off). That means you could use two Turn Right 90 Degrees spells, or one Turn Right 90 and one Turn Right 45 Degrees spell, or three Turn Right 45 Degrees spells. 

If you want to achieve a smoothly continuous spinning object, you will need a Magic Timer set to one second On and zero seconds Off, with Repeat checked, and point it to a Magic Reflector that casts a pair of Turn Right (or Turn Left) 90 Degrees spells to affect your intended target. You can use other triggers to turn on and off your spinning object by turning on and off that Magic Timer, or you can just have the Magic Timer checked to be turned on at the start.

Automated Up and Down Magic

Most Castle Magic that uses elevator type effects utilizes a Jump trigger to raise or lower a platform. I wanted instead a Clock Tower that would smoothly float up and down continuously. This required more Castle Magic items to make work, and some adjustments to the timers to make them flow smoothly.

First, here's my setup:



I start the whole thing with a Start Magic Detector item. This will start the whole magic chain as soon as someone visits the house, which by now you can see is the Red Barn Farm. The Start Magic Detector will cast the spell Start Timer on the Magic Timer I'm pointing at with the yellow arrow. That will be my timer that controls the upward motion of the Clock Tower. I did not check the box to have the Magic Timer automatically start, not for this timer or the other one that will control the down motion.

The orange balls you see in the above picture are all Magic Reflectors that are affected by the timers and counters they are attached to. It's probably a good habit to attach them to avoid confusion of which item is affecting what; but it's important to know you can have multiple items affecting the same reflector!

Magic Timer #1 was set to repeat at two seconds On and zero seconds Off, pointing to the Magic Reflector #1. Magic Reflector #1 had the spells Move Up 250 and Add Counter. So what are the spells for the Magic Counters for? The Counters will add up to a certain point, and when they reach that point, they will shut off the magic from one timer, and start the other. Thus the Magic Counters control when to float the object up and when to float the object down. They say, "I'm full; go the other way."

The Add Counter spell from Magic Reflector #1 was pointed at Magic Counter #1. I set that counter to 5 (see below).



Also, I didn't want to display the counter's value on the screen. There are reasons to do that, like if you want to set up some sort of scavenger hunt game in your house, or if you're trying to make sure things are working, but I didn't want counter numbers showing up for visitors. With a value set to 5, it meant my timer/reflector combo would raise my Clock Tower five times before the Magic Counter would reach it's limit to cast the new spell. Magic Counter #1 has the switch to the reflector I've labeled Counter Reflector #1 once it reaches it's set value (5).

Magic Reflector #1 does the following spells: Stop Timer (pointing to Magic Timer #1, Reset Counter (pointing to Magic Counter #2), and Start Timer (pointing to Magic Timer #2). Now the new timer/reflector combo goes through its job of lowering the Clock Tower using Move Down 250 while adding counters to Magic Counter #2.

After some experimentation, I noticed a problem. My set up is good, except for the timer values set with the Move Up 250 spells. Every 100 units takes about a second to complete. If you set your timer to 2 seconds On, and use Move Up 100 or Move Down 100, you will get a second of pause after each movement. So a jerky motion instead of a smooth motion. If you set it as I did for 2 seconds On, but are using a Move Up 250 or Move Down 250, the motion will be smooth, but you are getting excess time added on to the process, and that messes up the timer on it's way down. You don't get the object arriving back to it's starting position before it starts back up the upward movement path, and probably vice versa. I changed my numbers to match each other.

My timers are set for casting spell with 1 second On, and zero seconds Off, and I use the Move Up 100 and Moved Down 100 spells. This ensures my floating object moves smoothly, and arrives to the same top and bottom points every time. If you were to use this, you can adjust the height using the Magic Counter's value... a lower number for a smaller rise. Just make sure your Magic Counter values match!

Conclusion

That's a lot of words for only two Castle Magic effects. I learned that you can make your house decorations move smoothly, but there are some number values you need to know to make that work. Spinning requires more than one rotation spell, and that value of the combined spells in degrees must be at least 135 (it can be more, and the spell still works fine). If you are moving items up or down, they move at a rate of one second for every 100 units. That probably applies to other directions, too; but I have yet to run those experiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment